I’ve never been the cool kid.
Never the one surrounded by friends.
Never the one picked first at kickball.
Never the one invited to parties or to hang out after school.
On the other hand, I’ve also never been the outcast, being content to tread the middle ground. Not being disliked by anyone, but also not creating very many close friendships.
When I started my business, this piece of my personality became a real challenge that I think many of you will relate to.
The need to be “liked” and not turn people off, but not quite willing to put your whole self out there and create true connection with your prospects.
Even though I was being told over and over again that I needed to be fully self expressed and the right people would come, or that I needed to just start putting myself out there and meeting people – it seemed impossible.
I had been playing a watered down version of myself for so long that I wasn’t even sure what the real me looked like!
So I began exploring my interests and hobbies and at first I didn’t think there was any way to bring them into my business. After all…
- What does Disney have to do with coaching?
- Who cares that I’ve always had a strong affinity for animals?
- How does science and experimentation fit with business?
- Won’t people not take me seriously if I bring in my interests for role playing or playing games?
And what I have found has been business (and life) changing.
There are subtle ways to bring even the most obscure of your interests into your business – and the impact they create can be astounding.
- The imagery of The Land of Brand was heavily influenced by the whimsical nature of Disney and the “feel good” vibes of the classics I watched growing up. As a result our website attracts the most FUN clients ever, and it stands out as unique within the thousands of websites out there offering similar services.
- The idea of experimentation has become a strong message to coaches to not treat every decision they make as permanent, and has freed up our clients to take more risks and to make choices quickly in how they want to move forward – which has translated into faster growth.
- Bringing the idea of role playing and acting “as if” has allowed my clients and myself to gain confidence and become bigger and better versions of ourselves.
- And my innate ability to herd cats has been invaluable in juggling multiple client projects at once (that one is a joke)
You get the idea, sometimes what makes you “weird” to the mass population makes you unique and desirable to the right people.
What I’ve found is that the reason I didn’t made a lot of friends growing up was because I was playing in a much smaller pool than I was meant to (growing up in the back woods of Maine will do that do you). When you’re visible on a global scale there are many more opportunities for your tribe to find you.
And when you are fully self expressed in your business you attract more than just clients – you create strong friendships as well. I have made more friends in the last year than I have over my entire lifetime – and it’s all due to putting myself out there more and attracting the right people.
The success of your business is highly correlated to the relationships you make. So if you want to have more clients, then find ways to make more friends. If you want a great way to make more friends start bringing your interests into your business!